Vibrant wild night and long sandy beach may be what people know about this popular seaside destination, Pattaya. Here, we have 7 little facts about Pattaya only few people know which will let you travel with more fun. Let's find out!
Pattaya was not Pattaya...not even a city
Pattaya without tourists, hotels, and bars may a bit hard to imagine today. However, some 30 years ago, this vibrant metropolis was only a deserted beach
. Not before the indo-china war in 1980s when the city rapidly developed into famous resort town and ranked itself among the all time popular destinations of Thailand.
Also, the name "Pattaya
" was only some years old. It was called "Tappaya
" as it is believed this area is where the troop of Phraya Tak (King Taksin) rested when marched to Chantaburi almost 300 years ago. The name was later became "Pattaya" which is less tongue twist.
It's not a province
Judging from size and number of people live in the city, you may think Pattaya is the main administrative city of a province. In fact, it isn't. Pattaya is a special administration district situated within Chonburi Province
, 51th largest province of Thailand (out of 77 provinces). With the bloom on tourist industry, great beach, and world famous nightlife; the city become bigger and bigger that is oversized the Chonburi City.
You can reach by Plane and Train
Pattaya by train or plane? No problem!
You are probably used to travel to Pattaya with private car, taxi or van but actually Pattaya has 2 train station and an international airport at service. There is 1 daily train to and from Bangkok. You can catch Train No.283 at Hua Lamphong Station at 06.55 and arrive Pattaya at 10.34. On the way back you can catch the train Train No.284 at 14.21 which will take you to Bangkok at 18.15. The ticket is as cheap as 31 baht (~80 cent), probably the cheapest way.
For plane, U-Tapao Internation Airport is located only 50 kms from Pattaya. Currently there is no commercial flight connection from Bangkok to Pattaya, but you can get here from Thailand's popular tourist destinations like Chiang Mai, Hat Yai, Koh Samui, and Phuket. There are some international flight from destinations like Shanghai, Hangzhou, Singapore, Kuala Lampur and Macau as well as charter flights from around the world.
Current Hot Deals
- Get a BIG SAVE for your Thailand Trip with exclusive deal for PayPal user. Enjoy warm and sunny year's end holiday with 20% OFF the best price when pay with PayPal.
- If you dream for a vacation in Thailand surrounded by amazing landscape, unspoiled beaches, and choices of activities, Krabi is undoubtedly the place to go. From the land full of illusive limestone karsts to the pristine island.
- HotelThailand now offer special hotel offers in Phuket, Thailand top beach destination on the Coast of Andaman Sea.
- Your trip to Hat Yai will be SAVER THAN EVER with special hotel deals in the shopping paradise of Southern Thailand. This year, get MORE with special additional 5% on top OFF for selection of accommodations in town!
- Fulfill your dream trip to Thailand with exclusive deals for Citi Malaysia Credit Cards Holders. Get up to 65% OFF from leading hotels and resorts throughout Thailand and SAVE MORE with up to 10% on top discount + Complimentary
- Find and book hotel in Pattaya with up to 60% discount and get updates on Pattaya newest travel attraction and useful information for your trip to this popular seaside destination. The deal lasts from now through September 2016 only at HotelThailand.com
- Get up to 70% discount for hotel in Hua Hin, Thailand popular seaside weekend retreat. Find special hotel deals, stay and enjoy your day in Hua Hin.
Great Spot for Diving
If you are diving lover, Pattaya is one of the best diving sites for you offering clear and good weather all year round. Just 30 minutes of the shore, you can visit a number of islands and shipwrecks which contain many reefs and small rock pinnacles. Also, it is a great place you can get a course for PADI certifications.
The Pattaya Far Islands
are known among some of Thailand's most beautiful diving sites. This is yet to includes 4 of the best shipwrecks --- including world famous wreck from WWII S.S Suddhadip
or The "Hardeep
" and the very first artificial reef of the country "HTMS Khram
", which all locates is within advanced openwater certified divers' limit (30m or less).
City of Thousands Beer Bar
Everybody knows there are a lot of beer bars in Pattaya city, but how "a lot" is that? Based on the recent count, there are roughly 1500 - 2000 beer bars scattering from one end to other
. If you visiting only 1 beer bar a day it would take you over 4 years to visit them all.
Home to 3th Tallest Building in Thailand
The beach of Pattaya and Jomtien lined up with a number of skyscraper by the sea with Reflection Jomtien Beach Oceanfront Tower
as the highest building in town. It's towering the the long beach of Jomtien with the height of 234 metres, and ranked as the 3rd
highest tower in Thailand.
With this altitude, you can see as far as Sri Racha and Sattahip. Unfortunately, the tower is not open for public --- only the owners of these 2 ultra-luxurious penthouse on the top floor can have a pleasure of this exclusive panorama.
Just the place for Golf Lovers
There are a total of 23 (and still increasing) golf courses in Pattaya where you can exercise your swing and enjoy the day on green challenging fairways. These courses range from above average standard to the international class golf courses, with some of them renowned worldwide like Laem Chabang Country Club
and the Siam Country Club
. If you have a round every weekend, you will need over half a year to visit them all.
Photo from: Kritchanut, Showcake, ShutterStock.com, Tamz283, Youtube.com, Golfinakingdom.com
Recommend Hotel in Pattaya