River cruise is becoming a hotspot for travellers in major cities around the world. Here in Bangkok, you can also find nice river dining cruise where you can enjoy a leisure evening meal with cityscape and majestic building along the river. It said that you will not meet the "Real Bangkok" until you have a cruise here --- one of a "must-do" itinerary when you visit this city of Angles.
Before go on one of Chao Phraya Dinner Cruise
, you may curious what it feel like? What to expect? May be some tips to have a perfect river cruise?
HotelThailand.com will take you through some of the most asked questions about this popular activity of Bangkok.
Where to Start?
There are many river cruises to choose --- from budget to luxurious floating delight. Most of them start from River City Shopping Complex in Charoen Krung. You can reach the place with only a short Taxi ride from Hua Lamphong MRT Station
or BTS Saphan Taksin Station
. Instead, you can get on bus no. 36,45,93, or 187 which will set you off around 6 - 30 THB for Single journey varies by distance.
At River City Shopping Complex
, you can buy tickets for river cruise. However, for price wise, we recommend to have an advance purchase through online agency that you can save up to 50% off the walk-in price (more info
). The cost ranges around 800 - 2000 Baht depends on the duration, and service on the cruise.
Which Cruise for You?
Before you buy a ticket, make sure to research about the style and ambience of each cruiser
as they offer different mood. Some has traditional atmosphere, where you can have a Thai style dinner with Thai traditional performances on a cruiser converted from wooden rice barge --- making you feel like you are on a floating Thai house. If this is what you are looking for, you may want to look at Wanfah Dinner Cruise and Loy Nava Dinner Cruise
, which are popular among western tourists.
Alternatively, more modern cruisers like White Orchid River Cruise, Chao Phraya Princess Dinner Cruise, Grand Pearl Dinner Cruise
, etc. offer contemporary cruising experience but not scarce of dance, show and music. This modern cruiser is more popular among Thai and foreigner. It offer more seats, has more space to move around, more things to do, and has both open-air and air-conditioned deck to choose.
Among these modern cruisers, you may need to choose the one that is right for you. Some of them offer energetic atmosphere with cabaret show, entertainment, and dance floor to give you a hip and chic vibe, while some offer more relaxing mood perfect for a romantic dinner.
The dinner cruise will take around 2 - 2.5 hour includes international (or Thai) buffet dinner and Thai culture performance for you to enjoy. But one best thing about the cruise is the view along the way. Current Hot Deals
- HotelThailand now offer special hotel offers in Phuket, Thailand top beach destination on the Coast of Andaman Sea.
- Your trip to Hat Yai will be SAVER THAN EVER with special hotel deals in the shopping paradise of Southern Thailand. This year, get MORE with special additional 5% on top OFF for selection of accommodations in town!
- Fulfill your dream trip to Thailand with exclusive deals for Citi Malaysia Credit Cards Holders. Get up to 65% OFF from leading hotels and resorts throughout Thailand and SAVE MORE with up to 10% on top discount + Complimentary
- Find and book hotel in Pattaya with up to 60% discount and get updates on Pattaya newest travel attraction and useful information for your trip to this popular seaside destination. The deal lasts from now through September 2016 only at HotelThailand.com
- Get up to 70% discount for hotel in Hua Hin, Thailand popular seaside weekend retreat. Find special hotel deals, stay and enjoy your day in Hua Hin.
That is a big question. Normally modern Chaophraya River Cruiser offer upper opened air deck and air-conditioned lower deck. If you want to enjoy dinner indoor, you may choose the lower air-con deck as it more convenient (and cooler) --- but also has view through floor-to-ceiling windows.
For the best experience, we recommended the open-air deck where you can appreciate the 360 degree view while you enjoy your treat. If there is no rain on the day, do not hesitate to book a table on the upper deck. It has better view and great cool breeze.
Some say that the left side of the boat has better view. On the departure leg, you will spend most of the time eating delicious food the cruise offer, and that means no time for view. On the return leg, if you book seat on the right side you will see the Grand Palace and Wat Pho. However, fear not if you book on the right side, you can still have upper deck and the front of the cruise where you can enjoy the view --- even you sit on the left side you still can't resist going to the front to enjoy the view.
What you will see?
The city of Bangkok has been long known as "Venice of Asia
". It has canals and waterways crisscrossing throughout the area. Chao Phraya River is the main blood vessel here, meandering through the heart of the city from north to south, passing some of the most iconic landmarks, palaces, temples, bridges, and market. It said to be among the best places to enjoy the city, especially around sunset time when Bangkok will reveal its best trump.
Make sure you have enough memory in your camera. You will surely take tons of beautiful picture and video during the trip. We recommend you to arrive at the pier early to see the sunset, which is also a good kick-start of the night.
At departure, the boat will run upstream through the heart of Rattanakosin Old City
where is home to many historical buildings, temples and palaces. The boat will run pass The Memorial Bridge
--- Thailand's oldest bridge that cross Chao Phraya River, right next to the bridge is the white Chedi of Wat Prayurawongsawas
, Church of Santa Cruz, and the ordinate Hall of Wat Kanlayanmit
and just on the opposite bank is colonial style building of Yodpiman River Walk.
Next is the city's most known icons Wat Arun
or "Temple of Dawn
" beautifully decorated with light, and then on the right side is Wat Pho
, the majestic Temple of Emerald Buddha
and the Grand Palace
. The cruise will take you up to Rama VIII Bridge
, which has distinguished shape and vividly decorated, before make a u-turn down stream.
Around this time you should finish your dinner. If you sit on the lower deck, we recommend you to go to the upper deck to enjoy the magnificent panorama of the city along the river way. The cruiser will run pass River City Shopping Complex to Bangrak
and Sathon Area
which is full of modern building --- this will give you a more modern glimpse of the city, before heading to the pier.
- Get cheaper ticket with online agency. If you buy at the pier, you will be charged with walk-in rate that can be 2 times more expensive.
- Study well about each cruiser. Some cruiser offer more traditional Thai touch while some is a great place for couple, some offers fun and energetic vibe where you can dance with friends.
- Choose upper deck to enjoy the view. If no rain on the day, do not hesitate to book the table on the upper deck. It has better view and great cool breeze.
- Book on the right side of the boat, on the departure leg you will spend most of the time eating delicious food the cruise offer, and that means no time for view. On the return leg, when you book on the right side you will see the grand palace, wat pho, blab la bla which is more beautiful spot along the river.
- Fear not if you book on the left side, you can still have upper deck and on the head of the cruise where you can enjoy the view.
- Make sure you have enough memory for your camera. You will surely take tons of beautiful picture and video during the trip.
Recommend Thailand Activities